Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Oldies can be Goodies

Tonight I was watching Jamie Olivers Escape (or something like that where he is travelling around Italy learning about authentic Italian cooking).

In the programme he came to be in the presence of "granny". Apparently granny was the person that oversaw all the cooking in the kitchen and made sure it was done traditionally and properly. When Jamie Oliver (after hand killing a lamb, peeeling and preparing it) served it up her response was it stunk and he had used the wrong ingredients. Reality was it probably was lovely, tasty and wholesome.

It made me think about our attitude to church. What I love about church at times is the fact that it can be a mixture of both young people and old. For the old, they can often not want to adopt new ideas or new ways of doing things - they have a distinct opinion on something new and foreign. And of the younger members, think that the older people don't really understand todays culture and can't "get with it". This is probably a sweeping statement but I am sure I have seen it in my walk several times.

But watching Jamie Oliver tonight reminded me of two things. That wisdom and experience from an older generation is often good and quality advice and should be heeded and passed down. To that degree I have always disliked being in a church where the bias is on a youth based oritented structure. I am sure it works well, but it excludes those members of society that can contribute something valuable and constructive.

I don't want to live a church life where there is no input from those people that have lived life a long time. I am not saying they are always right and should be obeyed - but their wisdom at times should be treated more preciously than we give credit for......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home