Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Quiet Zone....

Yesterday I came back on a train and someone (probably unintentionally) really annoyed me.
Basically, for those that don't / haven't travelled on Anglia and what is now One Rail most will know there never has been the concept of a Quiet Coach.

Quiet Zones have been used on GNER services for ages and I quite like them. Basically on here people don't use laptops, mobile phones and don't chat - its very quiet. But this is new to most travellers on the trains between Norwich and London.

So yesterday, I was travelling back. There were kids on the train making noise, people chatting away merrily and a general hub hub. I was on my mobile talking just as normal as anyone else when this woman came and stuck her finger in and talked over my conversation. She told me "this was a quiet coach and was not able to use my mobile". Fair enough. But I was speaking quiter than the kids, and no louder than other conversations going on. She annoyed me because she didn't bother having a go at anyone else, but figured here is a guy on his own on a mobile (which she probably didn't own) to have a go at.

I just thought it was incredibly rude of her - yes, she may have been in her right to say it - but if the rest of the coach makes my contribution no louder I see no problem. Doesn't have integrity in my mind .... Gonna ask One for a noisy coach and see what they say.

4 Comments:

Blogger sparkles said...

he he - ask em for a 'no rude people' coach while you're at it. Including the staff.

On one trip back to Norwich I couldn't find a seat that wasn't reserved. A lady informed me that no one had taken the seats behind her so I said I'd sit there until someone came. No sooner had a sat down than a lady across the aisle said, 'you can't sit there! They're reserved!' I calmly explained that I would move if someone came. I thought that was the end of it, but I could see her out of the corner of her eye talking about me and pointing at me to the person sitting next to her! What's it to her that I sit in someone elses seat?!

Then on the way back I had to deal with a GNER lady telling me off and treating me like a 10yr old because she thought I was blocking the aisle and stopping the trolley man come down it on purpose! She didn't say anything to the other lady standing in the aisle! Just told me to go with her, and was just rude!

I think I need to buy a private jet.

10:14 PM  
Blogger monty said...

Thats terrible treatment.
With regards to reservations - It doesn't matter if a seat is reserved. If no one is sitting in it they your entitled to sit in it. Your probably a nicer person than me, I would have said a few choice words to the woman being nasty about you (especially behind your back).

Whats just as bad is sometimes the train is late so they don't put the reservations out to ensure that the train is not delayed. So you sit in any seat you want. However its guaranteed that someone will come along and have a blazing argument with you because they have a reservation.

I could move, but I know if I move I could get moved on again - so irrespective of what they think of me, I refuse to move (exceptions being pregnant or old).

11:10 PM  
Blogger Balaji said...

Chill guys. I understand the sentiments expressed. Don't bother about it. Why should someone's treatment worry you if you are going to see them only once in your lifetime. i guess some are like that, awfully rude and hopeless. If it bothers you, the only one who will suffer is you and not the other person, as he would be enjoying the suffering in your place. if you get annoyed, i guess it is better to say 'Bugger off' to the rude person.

3:51 PM  
Blogger monty said...

Mmmm - I understand to some degree. I guess though if that person is generally like that I am not the only one that is suffering, its every person they do that to.

I agree, it would be better to chill, but each to there own and their individual reactions. I just hope my reaction to the complaint I got was appropriate and good, and not rude and harsh as confrontational is not my style

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home