Friday, January 20, 2006

Autopsy

I wondered if anybody had been watching the Life and Death programmes on Channel 4. Synopsis is that they are discussing all aspects of death, how it occurs and what it really looks like.

No - really - what it really looks like.

Here is a link - there is nothing bad appearing on the link but you can watch the programmes online should you wish. WARNING - its graphic.

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/A/autopsy/index.html

The guy in question, a Dr Gunther, and his mates use live (or dead) corpses to demonstrate how death occurs in bodies.

Firstly let me say up front I think its great. The people all are volunteers before they died and new what would be happening to them. I think its great because its an education lesson that you never get to see anywhere. For example - they showed how coronary heart failure occurs by demonstration using the dead persons heart.

But I guess the reason for the post is I wondered if people had any issues with it. Emma seems to think its immoral and disrespectful. I completley disagree with her but since I am a nice hubby I refuse to watch it in her presence. I simply see it as hard core education.

Mind you - I can't eat watching it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Helsalata said...

And that's a good thing when you're on a diet! ;)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Hey Dave, I think I found your blog via Helsalata's, so Hi!

I did catch the one on Cancer and I found it hugely educational. As you say, there is no other way to get to see this (unless you're in medical training I guess) and when you can actually see what a tuma looks like, an understand how cancer can move around the body, I see only benefits to it.

People have been donating their bodies and/or organs to science for many years, they are treated (disected etc) in the same way but the information garnered has only been shared within the scientific community. To then show autopsies on TV, when the patients have specifically given their permission, creates no disrespect, but does IMHO make even better use of their donation.

In fact I think the show is very well produced and focuses on the topics at hand, rather than the fact that they're autopsying people for TV.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Craig Deal said...

I think its great although at times its a little gross.

I also find it kinda funny that they wear all the stuff you should be wearing when cutting people up apart from Dr Gunther who has his black hat on, very funny!

Last night they showed a cross section between a old person and a young person, very fascinating to see the difference in muscle, bone wear etc

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home