Thursday, February 01, 2007

Christian Pomp

I have been enjoying reading the posts that Mark has been putting on his blog.
One post was about street preachers and whether they are irrelevant. He subsequently said that irrelevant was the wrong word. Anyway, this got me thinking....

It strikes me that as Christians are quick to complain, are quick to say "oooh, don't like that its not how it should be done". I include myself in this as well. I wonder actually if its not Christians, but life in general. When you do something regular and someone comes along and is doing it different, even when you think the way your doing something is better and more productive, its easy to waggle a finger and go - "Your irrelevant because I know that people don't need that and frankly I can / know a better way".

I don't really want to make this a rant blog but if your a Christian, lets stop doing a critique of everyone elses methods (and I include myself). Using the Street Preacher example - I don't think its probably the best way of sending the gospel - but the street preacher's walk is not my walk - likewise a street preacher might see me leading a band in corporate worship a waste of time, similar other Christians might see a band as irreverant and prefer quiet meditation with God in a church.

Thank God we are all different - Thank God he is pleased with the man on the street preaching, for the woman quietly meditating, for people that are branching out a church service and reaching a community, for people that are loud, vivacious and brash. Christianity is simple, but more importantly should be tolerant of each others passions and desires whatever we do. Its basic simple faith. Lets stop judging each other and each others choices, lets just love people.

Sorry for rant and thanks Mark for stimulating a good thought.

7 Comments:

Blogger Helsalata said...

Yeah good points both Tark and Monty. I have to own up that I can be critical and have made extra efforts to not do so of late. Was really impressed the other day that someone at my church was talking about another Norwich church really positively. I like that. Not everything is to our taste. This is good because there is enough variety for everyone! What a generous God that we can express our love for Him in so many ways.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Mark Tiddy said...

thanks for the post monty and Im glad I inspired a thought. I think it's so easy to be critical of things not just Christians, we're in a society where if somethings not right you complain, however I don't think being critical of churches is a good idea, yes some churches have different styles and slight different beliefs.

Mark Tuma addressed the critic of church issue back in fridays in Jan and God really spoke to me through that and Im trying to approach criticism in a less critical approach, if that makes any sense. i.e. try and see the positives, admitidly im failing in places but it's a work in progress.
Good post tho monty! :)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I agree with the sentiment of your post and I guess what you are saying by "lets stop doing a critique of everyone elses methods".

Do you see a need though for a critical reflection on the practice of the church? If not, I'm not sure how the church would notice it has become irrelevant if, like me, you assume culture constantly develops and is significantly different (actually I'd say fundamentally different) than it was say 50 years ago.

7:54 PM  
Blogger monty said...

Paul

Does that mean a church that is no different in style, flavour and attitude from 50 years ago - irrelevant and therefore needs to change? I am not sure, I believe they are serving a congregation that wishes to be served like that, and that is the life of the church. Changing - because someone critiques them and says, "you should do it this way" is the wrong reason to change....

I am not sure I see that an external "generic" critique of whether church is relevant or needs to move on is useful at all.

I do see a self examination of a church by its leaders as being more important and more relevant. This can only occur when leadership is submissive to that self examination. I believe if a church is self critiquing instead of being blown by the winds of flavours and styles is a better church.

However, what I don't think is useful, good and Godly is where
I have read many posts by Norwich bloggers in particular scathe other churches (specific churches), or made other churches the butt of jokes, even at times "pi** taking" headlines. That is not criticism or critique. I am tempted to say its sinful.

Furthermore, the post is about critique / criticism by individuals and not society. Thi is in fact a very subjective matter and the context of the person making that comment needs to be taken into context.

As a person that leads worship (primarily) sung, it would be easy for me within Norwich Vineyard to say "This is what we should be singing, this is how it is out there in modern culture". Reality is, I see what I do as a service to the congregation. I try to make the worship leading that I offer relevant for the church, for in the end I am serving them. With a loving heart I will then gently encourage them with new things when appropriate.

Bit waffly cause I am nackered... sorry.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Monty, I actual agree with you about criticism and the kind of blog post you refer to that undermine other churches. I guess I'm not coming from a style perspective, one can take or leave style, since that's about personal taste. I think I was interested in what's behind style, the substance of assumptions about communication, identity, how people learn, etc.

I was just interested in how church might notice if it ever became irrelevant if indeed it ever would. I guess I'm also coming from the postmodernity perspective where most commentators say it is as significant a change in world view as that from the dark ages to the enlightenment. If that's the case then I wonder if questions of whether something is irrelevant or not do need to be posed.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Balaji said...

Monty, good post. I would actually like to stretch this further. I think every religion need to be tolerant towards one another. I am of a firm beleif that almost every religion in the most basic sense preaches the same and man does a wonderful job of mutilating its meaning and throwing away the essence. I think if a particular person is comfortable in any religion, and finds inner peace, he should be left as he is.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Out of interest Balaji, how would you describe what it is in a basic sense that almost all religions preach that is the same?

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home