Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Music and Church

I was chatting with a friend the other day with regards to church and its attitude to music. The conversation went along the lines that the church my friend goes to advocates that as a christian you have no need to listen to secular music (secular music being things like Anastasia, Snow Patrol etc etc). People are encouraged at certain services to give up their secular CDs and they are then destroyed.

The same church insists that if your part of the leadership team that you sign a waiver that you will not drink alcohol at all (and its not methodism). This is because drinking is frowned upon within the church.

Frankly, to say I get dismayed with this attitude is somewhat short of the mark. It makes me angry. One of my vices, issues, things I struggle with is moderation. This is what should be preached to be fair. A moderation between good christian music / teaching and secular music should be healthy. Similarly with alcohol. Getting slappered every night is not good, and for some having a beer or two at most once every other day is too much - its all about moderation for yourself. Jesus drank wine and could, by his deeds, say he promoted it drinking wine at least.
I know some churches encourage a no drinking attitude and I can understand that to some degree, but it needs to be a self choice not forced by elders upon you. This should then be moderated through accountability especially if in a leadership place.
But to categorise non christian based music as "trash" and encourage them to ditch it and ignore it, is like saying ignore the world and what its involved with. I also believe music is about creativity and ultimatley creativity comes from God who created us in his image.

6 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I agree with you.

I think it comes down to different models of engaging with culture. Be separate and disengage, be part of be separate, bne the same as culture, engage with it in a dialogue.

I think the latter is the biblical, theologically sound, socioloicially correct approach.

I sense the first step ontyo a hobby horse so I'll back down.

Suffice to say being anglican rather than pentecostal there are no waivers about not drinking in leadership! ;-)

11:00 PM  
Blogger joolians said...

totally agree - does this church refuse to use songs influenced by secular music as well ... taken to its logical conclusion that's what you'd have to do since whoever wrote the songs must have been influenced somewhere along the line ... wonder how far would you go back before you could say "hmm ok, we''re happy with that" ... Gregorian Chant?

Re drinking, I "stopped" drinking about 18 months ago for no particular reason other than I wasn't enjoying it. I agree moderation is certainly the approach. Recently I had a pint with some friends and thoroughly enjoyed it. I might do again one day. Who knows. But I would hate to say that I couldn't enjoy the pleasure of a real ale once in a while.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

There's an enormous crossover between "Christian" and "secular" music anyway - who hasn't listened to the Snowpatrol song "Chasing Cars" and wondered if they haven't put a Vineyard worship album on by accident... ;)

11:16 AM  
Blogger monty said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:49 AM  
Blogger monty said...

Heather, I understand what your saying although have to not confess knowing the Snow Patrol song though (although i may well have heard it and not know)...

Christian music, and worship music, generally is drifting to an image that is more accessible and aligned to the current styles. But they don't drive that, its bands like Snow Patrol et al that are reflective of the current popular genre. To ignore it and pour scorn on it is crasse, and takes into no consideration christian secular artists work.

So yes I agree and I sometimes think these churches are just being stupid.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mark Tiddy said...

good post and I completely agree, I've come accross churches who encourage people to throw out secular CD's and even things like black clothes! The whole alcohol thing is slightly silly too (getting slappered is a great phrase!). Perhaps churches should be concentrating more on discipling and preparing people for mission rather than shielding them so much they have no chance of striking a conversation with a non-christin!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home