Saturday, December 31, 2005

Use before you buy

This is something I was thinking of the other day but reminded when in a queue at Morrisons in Norwich today. The scenario is this: I put a bottle of coke, or a packet of biscuits, or something like that in my trolley. Half the way around the store I decide to take a nibble or have a drink.

I continue to the checkout and pay for the goods and leave.

Am I stealing something because I am using it before paying for it? Or is it ok.
I think I am airing on its ok as long as you know you can pay for it, but it got me thinking.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Casting my mind back to my law degree, theft is define as "appropriating property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive."

The assumption in shopping is that whether it goes straight into your trolley or your stomach as long as you progress or can demonstrate your intent to progress to the checkout there is not an intention to "permantly deprive" and therefore it's not theft.

*He says trying to sound confident, knowing I've done this with Rhianna and hope it's ok!*

10:54 PM  
Blogger monty said...

Makes sense and therefore would agree. With regards to Max, whenever we go shopping he is well trained, items in basket and then pay for them, then eat immediatley...

hehehe so no worries from my point of view.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Craig Deal said...

I've not done it for a while but I used to eat a mars bar or something like it while shopping then put the wrapper through the check out, apart from a few comments like, couldn't you have waited etc no one said I shouldn't have done it

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home