Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Space Cadets

I have been watching the Channel 4 programme Space Cadets.
The synopsis of the show is they advertised for a once in a lifetime opportunity as part of the reality show. They got the people they wanted and then revealed that they would be trained to be the first space tourists. In reality, its a big practical joke and they are actually being tricked in a disused milatary base in Woodbrigde, near Ipswich (Back end of no where near enough space).

The programme has been funny and clever to watch and the effort they have gone to fool them is incredible. And like many reality programmes its captured me (as well as it being space for which I have always wanted to go on). But there are two interesting things about this that I take issue with.

The first, which is not really an issue is, whats the point. In Big Brother, the public ring a telephone line and get charged for voting for the person they want to keep or evict (or whatever it is). The company in then end makes, I suspect, a substantial profit via this mechanism. In this programme, they clearly have gone to extreme costs to make the illusion real at all levels and with no expense spared, but I cannot see where they might recoup that money at all. All the contestants in the end are awarded with £5000 and a trip to real Russia for space training and a trip on the "vomit comet". Thats 9 people which will costs a fortune I understand.

The second, and more concerning issue I have is I watched a group of people on TV almost in tears because they were living a dream, something unbelievable. But I don't know if I feel comfortable that someones dream is being used to this manner. Imagine something you wanted to do the most in the world, and you could be tricked into thinking your doing it, to then find out it was all a practical joke. Fair enough, some might say thats there own fault for being someone so easily fooled. I actually simply don't like someones precious dreams being used and abused in this manner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home