Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Mind Boggles

This might take some getting around your head and is probably not very well explained:

I was on the train the other morning and the countryside looked amazing, covered in ice. The air was misty and the sun was just poking through the clouds. It was this that made me think about everything man has invented, don’t know why it did, it just did.

It struck me that everything on earth has been invented by man. That’s not to diminish God – he may well have released the knowledge etc, but it made me wonder what more we could do if we weren’t sinners. That is - does sin reduce our ability to create (create being all facets from discoveries, arts, science etc etc).

This lead me to the thought of how things would have been if Adam and Eve hadn’t fallen to sin in the Garden of Eden. Would we be bothered inventing light bulbs, telephones or anything? Was everything we needed in the garden of eden? This then got me thinking, would Adam and Eve had sex and gone on to bring about a family?

This got me thinking about the phrase, God knew me before I was born. But when did he know me? A couple of hundred years ago, week before I was born, when I was conceived, or before the very beginning of time? At what point did God by his thought bring me into being? This ultimately then made me think about whether some people would exist if sin never entered the world. Let me explain……

Lets say I was born because my mum slept around, she slept with one person and it was because of this sin that I was born. Now lets take away sin if it never happened, she would never have slept around and therefore I wouldn’t have been born. Does that really mean I would have been born or not? If we answer no, I wouldn’t have been born, then God could not have known me before the world began because I am a consequence of free choice. If we answer yes, then he must have known sin would have occurred for the same reason....

Probably too much caffiene on the train.

5 Comments:

Blogger Craig Deal said...

Hannah and I talk about this 2 nights ago, she’s reading purpose driven life and there is a comment in there which says your parents may not have planned you but God did.

So if someone is sleeping around and falls pregnant not at all planned this comment would suggest that God did plan it, would God plan a birth outside of marriage, the bible suggests otherwise?

I agree that no matter how or what you are born into that God has a plan for your life, he loves you etc but does he plan for you to be born that way? I don’t know

The invention thing is also something I’ve thought about and I kinda feel that we do it to fill our needs, we’re never satisfied as a people so we invent, if sin had never entered the world I’m sure the world would look very different.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Craig Deal said...

Hannah and I talk about this 2 nights ago, she’s reading purpose driven life and there is a comment in there which says your parents may not have planned you but God did.

So if someone is sleeping around and falls pregnant not at all planned this comment would suggest that God did plan it, would God plan a birth outside of marriage, the bible suggests otherwise?

I agree that no matter how or what you are born into that God has a plan for your life but does he plan for you to be born that way? I don’t know

The invention thing is also something I’ve thought about and I kinda feel that we do it to fill our needs, we’re never satisfied as a people so we invent, if sin had never entered the world I’m sure the world would look very different.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Craig Deal said...

huh, now thats odd, its posted it twice!

12:06 PM  
Blogger monty said...

On the invention side of things thats interesting point. You see as something to fill, I would also see as us using the creative and explorative mind that God gave us to enrich and better our lives.....

12:54 PM  
Blogger Craig Deal said...

I think thats true but I wonder if that would be something we'd need to do if things hadnt had gone bad in the garden right at the begining.

As things are now I beleve that God has made us to be very creative and that in its self is used to worship him if we choose to.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home