Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Nicking Stuff Part 1

Nicking Stuff Part 1

I was in Sainsburys the other day and as I was approaching an unpeculiar young guy came out of the store. As he did so he rolled his arm with a grey plastic bag over the top of the security barrier and once past this launched into a short jog whilst looking back over his shoulder. I suspected and reported that he had nicked something, although it was a judgement call based on his actions.

This got me thinking about whether or not it is worth reporting. If it had been my old Aunt Agnes’s shop I would have been fraught with upset and annoyance (I don’t have an Aunt Agnes by the way). However, since it was a large international company it seemed a less of a crime. In fact I pondered whether to say something.

I am sure there are good facts that businesses both large and small loose millions in lost sales like this, but Sainsburys wont notice it on that day. I wonder if anyone would have noticed it if I hadn’t said anything. This made me think whether it was worth me saying anything about it in reality. He could have needed that money for something innocently although illegally. Even if caught, nothing is likely to happen, and I am sure prison will just breed more problems.

In the end I concluded that I was write in reporting it. Just cause something happens that appears insignificant shouldn’t be ignored. It needs to be dealt with in the proper manner. But I pray that the guy finds what he is searching for.

2 Comments:

Blogger Helsalata said...

I think you made the right call. Did the bloke get caught do you think?

8:19 AM  
Blogger monty said...

I suspect he didn't. More likely they got the photography out and looked at that. What was surprising is they never asked me for my name of address or anything to chase in case of witness. So I guess they were banking on video evidence really.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home