Monday, February 26, 2007

New Church

Its interesting and possibly good about the announcement of Zion merging and consequently planning for a brand new "superchurch" - read about it here.

I think its fantastic that two churches are merging together instead of splitting. Its great that a site is potentially being rejuvinated for Godly use, and bring top Christian speakers, teaching et al to a much needed part of the country...

I feel however somewhat dismayed though. Essentially it was a church largely built and supported around the Heartsease estate, which - correct me if I am wrong - is a very needy place. Furthermore that the church attracted a lot of people and youth from the area into a Christian environment. The article talks about being good for the community - this might be true for Drayton and Hellesdon, but its a shame the plans for Heartsease haven't been revealed. Currently Zion bus people into Drayton for the Zion church service, but economically and more so environmentally is not sound.

I don't subscribe to the philospohy that bigger, bolder and newer is the best thing in God's space and this decision seems only to fit the church's ethos and propogation of the prosperity Gospel.

I also wonder where this leaves the plan for a Evangelical School. Although thats another subject
I am not getting into now.....

I wish them well but have a sad feeling that a heart of something community based, Godly and right has moved purely on the opportunity to be bigger and bolder and make "more of a name". I hope its not true and say God Bless them......

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

i think I see it from the same perspective as you Monty - big buildings and big events need big money and I'm just not sure that the church should focus its energy on receiving and spending cash! The Heartsease estate had such high regard fro Mount Zion church, I hope they don't end up feeling that the peeople who came in God's Name have left in it as well.

I guess we don't know the full story though. Lets hope that God is speaking and people are listening, cos then only good can come.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home