Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Visualisation

I tend to be a person that is stimulated by images etc and today I noticed to things that are similarly related.

At work today I noticed a rainbow. Apart from their religious relationship I find rainbows just beautiful things to watch. Furthermore, I am led to believe that rainbows can only occur at certain times of the day because it is dependant on the angle on the sun. The first thing that it reminded me was a long standing thought I have had about the circumference of a rainbow. Let me explain....... Once - I was flying from Heathrow to Newcastle and we had just started out descent. The sun was to my right on the right hand side of the plane, and I was on the left. As I looked out I could see a silhouette of the plane on the clouds below.

There is nothing special about that apart from the fact that the silhouette was a rainbow silhouette. That is, the outline of the plane was defined with colours from the rainbow. Anyway, ever since then I wondered if the rainbows we see are the same but the equivalent of a silhouette of the earth. That is, if you continued the rainbow around in a full circle would it end up being ratio of the size of the earth against the distance of the sun....... Next time you see a rainbow, imagine the rainbow just making a full circle and you might get what I mean.

The other image that I amazed me (I don't know why it does) was the view of Carrow Road Football Ground from my window. Norwich reserves were playing Leciester tonight (0 - 0) and the floodlights were on. Most of the evening it was pretty dark until it started to pour down with rain and it was as if the football grounds lights had been turned up. Clearly it was the floodlights reflecting of the rain as it falled but it was amazing to see how much the reflective light of the rain created such a bright effect......

Simple things amaze me as you see.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home