Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween

Well Halloween is nearly upon us and we have been chatting in my house about how we handle this with Max.

There are some parts of Halloween that I very much dislike, one of them being the trick or treat around the doors. My main objection is the encouragement of children to go knocking on strangers doors for cash / sweets. I think if this is done with adults in a a supervised manner - its probably not that bad although I am not sure it is giving a good impression to young people. The other is probably the imagery used can be frightening - and I know this from experience.

When I was young (less than 10) I was taken on a ghost train. The experience has scarred me for life and I actually will not go on one today nor down any sort of dungeon (like at Norwich Castle). Therefore I know the experiences at a young age like this can have an effect.

I know some Christians will be jumping around and praying for peoples salvation from the devil for participating in Halloween. However I cannot help find myself think "hold on -what a load of cack your spouting". Yes, we need to be careful with imagery and what we are showing young children, and yes, we need to ensure careful handling of trick or treating. But at times we give the Devil too much credit I believe.

I do wonder how much of it is about fantasy and fear. I don't think there is particularly anything wrong with either of these, but like life in general, too much of it can have a negative effect. Sometimes, on the odd occasions, Christians need to take a chill pill. The Harry Potter books are an exact same argument as in Witchcraft and Wizardry and its hand in hand with Christianity. And yes, probably fair, witchcraft and wizardry plays little part in Christianity - likewise James Bond play little part in Christianity. One could argue that Harry Potter may lead to kids trying to perform spells, chants etc etc - could you not then also argue if kids read / watch 007 they might try and kill people? The answer is clear and is no - but for me proves how ridiculous an argument of whether Christians should read Harry Potter or not. Its fiction and likewise Halloween must be treated with a smile, some realism and some careful parental guidance as to what it really means.

ps - should you wish to send me sweets, chocolate or money for Halloween I can provide my addy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said...

I was thinking about this and a clip from Friends springs to mind. (and it goes a little something like this - always wanted to say that)

The girls are in Central Perk, Rachel is wondernig whether she should go to Ross & Emma's wedding and Pheobe is pregnant and hormonal.

Rach & Monica: Hey, Pheobe
Pheobe: Hey
Monica: Rach is wondering whether she should go to Ross & Emma's wedding.
Pheobe: Uh-huh...
Rachel: it's a big thing, I don't know what to do, it's such a problem!
Pheobe: Yer, this reminds me of the time I was living on the streets and this guy offered me sex in exchange for food.
Monica: How is that possibly like this?
Pheobe: Well, that was a *real* problem and this...

Like someone said the other day, let us (as Christians) sort out global poverty, suffering, injustice and persecution, and then worry about whatever mask our children choose to put on one evening a year,

11:55 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

here here! Its really interesting to understand the roots of festivals like Halloween - for last night's ambient wonder event I looked into what the Celtic Autumn festivals were about and it reinforced to me that people throughout the ages have simply been trying to make sense of the world they live in and the realities of their day to day lives. There so much fear about "glorifying" the darker stuff, but in reality you have to allow some darkness in order to understand the Light.

Also, Harry Potter is full of the themes of loyalty, love, courage, prejudice, identity, doing what's right, walking in your destiny - good grief, if people can't draw out a discussion around biblical living from that then what exactly are they waiting for?? I don't think ten year olds want to watch veggie tales...

(And as a child I avidly read "The Worst Witch" series and it never did me any harm! Bring on the pumpkin carving!)

9:35 PM  
Blogger monty said...

Our traditional christmas type celebrations originates from Paganism (I believe - happy to be wrong) - according to many churches attitude on similar things we should ban that too wouldn't we?

10:02 PM  
Blogger Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said...

Monty - that's how I understand Christmas too, think it was some Pagan festival, but the Christians superimposed Christmas to their date to squish out that nasty paganism.

Heather - I didn't think you were old enough for the worst witch!!!!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home