Monday, October 02, 2006

Charitable Giving

I read with interest Heathers posting on bottled water, see http://heathercracknell.blogspot.com/2006/09/bottled-water-saving-world.html

Essentially the purchase of this water means that some money goes to worthy causes.
I think its good Heather points this out and I know her heart for these sort of things.
So thats cool.

But what annoys me is this - that this is seen as giving. I think its great that something you buy or purchase helps people out but the problem is there is no understanding about how much markup the selling companies like Tesco or Waitrose are making on this. Ultimatley if there is no benefit to them they won't sell it - I truly believe it. And I am fairly sure this is seen as a marketing opportunity more than anything else.

I choose to buy fairtrade coffee. Why? because I think or am led to believe that coffee farmers are poor and need support where possible. But do I see this as giving? - no - I see this as supporting an attitude of mind and of business. It it were giving I should give the money for the coffee straight to the coffee makers, then go and buy at an additional expense my coffee.

I have always ( and it might sound cocky ) seen giving as an action that deserves nothing in response. In some circumstances the long term results of your giving may or may not benefit you (I am thinking of such things as cancer appeals etc). If I give money to a friend, I don't expect them to want to be nicer to me, nor return the money or change in behaviour. I give it because they need it. The frienship is something else I invest in. There is a temptation to think that if I get nothing out of the giving I have made, its a worthless investment.

Giving is a one way channel and not a supermarket promotion or supermarket profit making excersise.

(PS: to make it very clear - I heartily respect Heather for her attitude in this area - she sets an example for us all to lead - I am not critiquing her, she's great - its our attitude to what is and isn't giving).

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

thanks for the link (and glowing endorsement!) I agree with you - buying fairtrade stuff or this bottled water is ethical consuming not giving to charity, its just a bonus that the company gives its profits to charity. I believe we have a duty to consume responsibly (which means buying less as well as buying wisely) and Tesco's and Waitrose will undoubtedly make a profit - that is what they exist for. But at least they are responding to pressure in the market to stock this kind of product.

8:44 AM  
Blogger monty said...

Thanks Heather...

I agree that we need to carefully consider ethical consumption and in many ways fall well behind the mark in many areas.

Packaging is another thing that gets my goat - especially such things as Tesco finest which is more often packaged "finely" and there is no need.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Balaji said...

I agree with you.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Balaji said...

I have tagged you in telling 6 things about yourself. See this post.

http://puranijeansaurguitar.blogspot.com/2006/10/6-things-about-myself.html

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home