Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Cultural Architect

I recently read on someones blog that they were (in a Church based context / Worship Leader) a Cultural Architect.

This makes me mad. A Cultural Architect. So - this person is saying they have a direct influence on the culture of the young people around them. Sorry, but that is horse poo to thing you can be an architect in this area. I agree that leaders can influence and change people, that I don't question. But I don't believe a single person rarely changes culture, or tries to plan that change to the level associated in terms of architecture. Cultural architecture in my mind is more massive than a single person, and at times more massive than a single church.

I suspect the person has been bombarded with well meaning christian babble and really needs a reality check. I won't name and shame, not my sort of thing, but the more I read about this person and the advertising placed upon this person it seems they have been influenced by an architecture not based on good sound christian principals.

Rant over..... its 1.49am and I must go to bed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Without knowing who you refer to and therefore context, if we are genuinely in an emerging cultural context eg post-whatever is it possible for anyone to shape culture in your view?

12:07 PM  
Blogger monty said...

I think it depends how you see culture. I am talking about mainstream culture (assuming also the person I am talking about is talking mainstream culture).

Since in my mind I am talking mainstream culture, I think to say one or two people in a church environment will struggle to change national cultural identity - locally yes, but no nationally.

I think national culture and identity is not via one person but by a large group of likeminded people getting together over a long period of time, working it out and using things like media etc etc to challenge culture.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home